Government Hill Alliance Tuesday, October 27, 2015 Membership meeting in St. Patrick’s Church Community Center. The regular meeting of GHA was called to order @ 7:30 p.m. on October 27, 2015 at St. Patrick’s Community Center. A quorum was established.
- We had 4 guest speakers: Police Chief William McManus, Senator Jose Menendez District 26, Alan Warrick and William Cruz Shaw Zoning Commission Chairman. Police Chief McManus elaborated on 3 items: a. a need for recruits for the Police Academy b. providing outreach services for the homeless e.g. mental health & chemical dependent with a reminder that it is not illegal to be homeless and c. providing procedure justice in their day to day operations. Alan Warrick noted the success of Dignowity Neighborhood Association Architectural Committee organizing efforts t get future funding for their neighborhood projects. Encourage us to get on 2017 Bond Committee. He also is encouraging outdoor public art. Senator Menendez encouraged us in building up our membership for improving/strengthening and getting to know the neighborhoods’ needs. He played an initial role in creating a new Veterans’ mental health program & wording with others to open Fort Sam Houston New Braunfels gate. William Cruz Shaw encouraged us to communicate with him when we see a “yellow” zoning change sign in front of a property. He wants GHA inputs before zoning commission hearings.
- The minutes for August 25, 2015 meeting were read and approved.
- Rose Hill, GHA president reported that according to Robert Reyna of Transportation & Capital Improvements Department (TCI) that Area 3 (east of New Braunfels) streets of Coleman, Gray, Ash & Shirley were grated. Also, the update on Vacant Structures & Lot Ordinances – two buildings on New Braunfels have been sold & a house for sale on Muth & Pierce.
- SAFFE Officer Christopher Winer reported that GHA was very quite. Had only had one call to 802 Grayson – someone sleeping on the vacant property’s porch.
- Dial A Trailer- Marie Stout reported that the October 11 project yielded a record 19.33 tons of trash. Collections for July 17 were 17.96 tons and for April 11, 11.66 tons.
- Spofford Gardens: Todd Mernin & Carlos Cardenas reported the plan to complete fencing & installing gate on the weekend of Oct 30-31. Members were encouraged to bring their autumn leaves to the garden; stacking them 1 foot high in order to aid as a weed killer & provide nourishment to the soil.
- Christmas Home Tour: Joe Ashcraft has 7 housed scheduled for Sunday, December 13, 2015 fund raiser.
- Historic Preservation Fair: Marisa Fernandez reported on the success of GHA first appearance of the annual Office of Historic Preservation (OHP) Homeowners Fair @ The Pearl on September 19, 2015. Posters of GHA homes & items from the neighborhood were on display.
- Membership: JoAnn Murillo explained about the board’s decision to increase yearly membership dues to $15 per person, $20 per household & $50 for businesses. Donna Liston moved to accept decision. Motion was second and carried.
- Todd Mernin made motion for meeting to adjourn. Julia Rosenfeld second the motion. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned @ 8:20.
Submitted by JoAnn Murillo